Techno-economic efficiency of marine fisheries in Gulf of Mannar Biosphere Reserve, India
Capture marine fisheries play a significant role in social, cultural, and economic dimensions of Indian capture fisheries that contributes to the blue growth strategies. Here the small-scale fisheries (SSF) constitute about 60 % and remaining 40 % large-scale fishing fleets (LSF). In this study, we have highlighted the techno-economic key indicators and technical efficiency of SSF and LSF of Gulf of Mannar Biosphere Reserve, India using Cobb-Douglas function, and Data Envelopment Analysis. The technical efficiency was slightly higher in SSF (TE = 0.961) with better quantity of fish produced per litre of fuel (5.05 kg) compared to the LSF (TE = 0.951). The labour efficiency such as value ($87.56) and quantity of fish produced per day (83.39 kg) was greater in LSF than the SSF ($7.07 and 14.26 kg, respectively). Though production cost was higher for LSF, the better gross revenue of $658.27 was generated than SSF ($42.41) and it mainly related to higher engine power (150 – 200 hp) and longer fishing ground distance from the shore (117.50 km) for LSF than SSF (9.9 to 25 hp and 48.80 km, respectively). Results of the present study suggest that there is limited scope to improve the technical efficiency of the fishing fleet since both were operated at better efficiency conditions. However, the lower gross revenue per trip in SSF can be improved and higher production cost in LSF can be minimized by improving the performance of the fishing fleets in Biosphere Reserve.
Full Text: PDF (downloaded 75 times)
- There are currently no refbacks.